By Nadine Hygate
Read about the people who lived, worked and owned property within what became “The Manor of Crawley”.
The book covers the time from when the area was a large medieval ironworking town of the 13th and 14th centuries through to its gradual decline in the late 16th century.
After the Restoration of the Monarchy the town continues as a farming community. Due to its position on the main route from London to Shoreham Harbour on the south coast, it retained links with its past industries of blacksmithing and wheelwrights.
While Crawley may be viewed as a small isolated community, it had close connections with its neighbours, and was well used to travellers and strangers.
In 1792, the current Lord of the Manor released his tenants from their manorial dues and obligations, so bringing to an end an ancient system, and the commencement of a different era in Crawley’s development.
Limited edition of 500 copies.
174 pages. 46 photographs, drawings, plans and family trees