By Nigel Dunne
1994 is being celebrated as Redhill’s 150th anniversary year to mark three significant events in the life of the town which took place in 1844:
On March 9th the Parish of St John the Evangelist, Redhill, was assigned as a particular district, independent of the historic Parish of St Mary Reigate. The new parish included the areas which are now the parishes of St Matthew and Holy Trinity, i.e. Redhill as it is today.
- On April 15th a new railway station was opened on the present site, replacing two inconveniently placed stations serving the Brighton and Dover lines independently. The opening of the new station let to the development first of Warwick Town and then Redhill in that area .
On February 7th the South Eastern railway line from Redhill to Dover was completed. For the next 24 years all the South Eastern’s Continental rail traffic via the Kent Coast came through Redhill, turning it into a major railway and postal junction.
Prior to these developments Red Hill (originally Redeheld) was what is now Redhill Common. The nearest hamlet to it in Linkfield Street consisted of little more than a few cottages. Where Redhill now stands was uninhabited marshland. But as a result of what took place in 1844 the foundations were aid for what was to become the town we know today.
This book tells the story of Redhill during that time, tracing the growth and development of the town from the middle of the 19th century until today.
The author, Nigel Dunne, has lived in Redhill since he returned to Britain in 1983 having spent the previous 25 years in the Far East working with the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation. His two previous books were “Club”, the Story of the Hong Kong Football Club, and “Arthur’ , the story of Earlswood Gunner Arthur King.
PRE OWNED BOOK
This book is pre-owned and has been purchased from a high-class book dealer and is therefore of the best quality that is available.
Pre-owned books are subject to issues such as light foxing or staining on pages, notes, and comments by previous owners, library marks and tickets, loose or missing spines, and the page edges, etc may not be perfect. Where available the jackets will be provided but may not be perfect. The pages and pull-outs, however, are always fully secure.
The best available copy of the book will be sent in all cases.
145 pages. 65 illustrations and maps