No! These cane backed arm chairs painted in light blue with some beautiful painted flowers have a lovely local story behind them.
They were owned by Alice and Frank Hyder of Three Bridges.
Alice was born on the 10 May 1900 to parents Albert James and Minnie Fagg in Three Bridges. In 1921 she is recorded as working as a Parlour maid for William Henry Campion at his home in Hove, Sussex.
Frank was born on 24 January 1901 to parents George William and Nellie Hyder in Three Bridges. In 1921 Frank was boarding at the home of Mr Milton Martin at Sunny Vale, Forest Row, Sussex and working as a railway clerk.
Frank and Alice got married in November 1923 and had one son called Alan in 1927. In 1939, they are living in Headcorn North Road, Crawley. Frank is a railway clerk, working at Three Bridges a short distance from home and Alice a housewife. Unfortunately, Alan died in 1949 and Frank and Alice died in 1986 and 1988.
The chairs are thought to have been a wedding present to the pair from Alice’s employer. They were donated by one of our life members, who remembers the Hyders fondly. One time after Frank’s retirement in the 1960s, they drove down to Arundel, Sussex to see ex-Crawley resident Daisy Warren to collect the grandfather clock which is now on display in the Victorian Gallery downstairs.