This October and November we are proud to be hosting the annual exhibition by Diverse Crawley and Crawley Campaign Against Racism.
In October the Diverse Crawley part of the exhibition will focus on Black History Month:
* From Slavery to Royalty
* Windrush Scandal Update
* Black Lives Matter Update
* Chagossian Islands History
The Crawley Campaign Against Racism part of the exhibition will be on “The Changing Face of Crawley”
Changes happen , especially around a Pandemic .
Some we can deal with, adapting or resisting, some we welcome .
Writing, Art work and Photography explores:
* Diverse memories in Crawley
* Crawley’s Natural World
* Crawley Faiths’ Religious Icons
* Public Art – Hidden in Plain Sight
DIVERSE Crawley began in Summer 2017, launched as part of Crawley’s 70th anniversary, to share and showcase the rich diversity of our town.
DIVERSECrawley aims are to:
* Promote community cohesion
* Organise, host and promote events to celebrate the rich culture of our diverse community
* Encourage communities across Crawley to participate
* Offer opportunities to volunteers to participate in and develop skills
* Encourage partnership organisations to get involved
* Fundraise for the programme of activities
In 1974 Danny Martin, aged 16, was a school student in Crawley when he was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.
At that time in the 1970s there was an increase in racist activities by the National Front in Crawley, as elsewhere.
Danny wrote a letter to the Crawley Observer, pointing out that he was being helped by nurses and hospital staff of all shades of colour and from all backgrounds.
‘I am appealing to ordinary people, making them realise that all people, regardless of of race or colour, deserve equal treatment in all things.
We are One Race, The Human Race.’
Danny’s letter was used on BBC’s ‘Thought for the Day’, where a wide audience heard his wake-up call to ‘ Join the Human Race’.
Sadly, Danny died aged 17, but his family and supporters had formed Crawley Campaign Against Racism and the group has continued to campaign for 40years. At our 40th Anniversary Hawth Show we celebrated the richness of our vibrant multicultural town, inviting ALL.
103 High Street
© 2023 Crawley Museum All Rights Reserved
Website created by Creative Pod