The Old Toll House in Northgate was near the entrance to what is now Ifield Drive, at the junction with the High Street. As well as a photograph of it, we’ve recently been donated a watercolor painting, presumably based on the photo. There is no artist’s name on the painting.

According to Peter Gwynne’s book ‘A History of Crawley’ (1990) the photograph was taken around 1900, shortly before its demolition. The word ‘Crawley’ wasn’t written on the building itself, but was written on the photograph by the printer. We’d love to know who the girls in the photograph are – if you can help us, please let us know?

Sepia photograph of Northgate Toll House, with two girls standing outside. The word 'Crawley' appears on the roof of the house. Handwriting at the bottom of the photograph reads 'The Old Toll House. A relic of Crawley.'
The handwriting on the bottom of this photograph reads ‘The Old Toll Gate. A relic of Crawley.’
Watercolour painting of the old toll house.